It's a first on the Off-Camera Chronicles (I'm saying this like I have a huge audience), a recipe by me! In the scope of trying to follow the Primal Blueprint, here is a primal recipe that will help you eat 5 veggies, some good fats (olive oil, cheese) and proteins (cheese and eggs). The recipe is based on the French dish "ratatouille" (not the movie...) with added eggs and cheese. Another version with eggs only is called "piperade". So, how to make it? Hit the jump to find out!
Ingredients (for 4 to 5 serves):
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 egg plant
- 2 capsicums (of different color preferably to make it look nicer)
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 large red onion (though it works with normal onions as well)
- 3 garlic cloves (you can add more depending on taste)
- Olive oil (extra virgin please)
- Cumin ground
- Grated cheese (whatever cheese you prefer but mozzarella, emmental and cheddar work best)
- 5 eggs (more or less to taste)
1) Chop all your veggies in dices. Not too small and not too big: about 1 to 2cm wide. Then chop the onions in slices and chop the garlic very thin.
2) Chuck all of it in a big pan, and add Olive oil (be generous like 4 or 5 table spoons), cumin ground (2 tea spoons) and paprika (1 tea spoon). Add salt and pepper to taste. Preheat your oven to 200 degree Celsius.
Look at all these colours!
3) Cook it all over high heat for 10mn and toss regularly.
4) Transfer into an oven dish and cover with aluminium foil and bake for an hour in the oven at 200 degree Celsius, or until the veggies are nice and soft.
5) Take the dish out of the oven and sprinkle the grated cheese. Then break the 5 eggs on top. Put back in the oven for 10 to 20 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.
It is a great dish to cook and keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Adding some chili sauce works very well too!